Home > About Us > Our History

Our History

School History & Background

Bendemeer Primary School started in 1977. The school was officially declared open by Mr Sidek Saniff, Member of Parliament for Kolam Ayer, on 10 March 1978. It serves the neighbourhoods of Bendemeer, Whampoa, Kallang Bahru, Boon Keng and Geylang Bahru. The old Bendemeer Primary School shared the same compound with Beng Wan Primary, Bendemeer Secondary and later Woodsville Secondary. The 3.3 hectares of land was once owned by one of Singapore’s Pioneers, millionaire ships’ chandler and Kapitan Chian (“leader of the Chinese people”), Hoo Ah Kay better known as Whampoa. 
 
Under PRIME, the school merged with Beng Wan Primary on 1 January 2004. In March 2005, the school moved to the present new building. The school is flanked by Serangoon Road on one side and Bendemeer Road on the other side. The new Bendemeer Primary has an enrolment of about 1200 pupils. It is equipped with all the new facilities to face the challenges of the 21st century. It has a well furnished central library, two computer laboratories, two Science Rooms, two AVA rooms, one Art, Music and Mathematics Room, a pastoral and counseling room, a fitness room, a beautiful Science eco pond and hydroponics set, a big field and basketball courts and an ornamental pond.

Our Origins


image001.png
Bendemeer Primary
Bendemeer started functioning in 1977 and was officially opened by Mr Sidek Bin Saniff, Member of Parliament for Kolam Ayer, on 10 March 1978.
image002.png

Beng Wan Primary School
Beng Wan was officially declared open by the Member of Parliament for Kolam Ayer Mr Sidek Bin Saniff on 25 July 1978.  The school started functioning on 2 January 1977 with pupils from Griffiths, Beatty, Balestier Boys, Balestier Girls, Balestier Mixed and Kwong Avenue schools.


image003.jpg

The New Bendemeer Crest